The manufacturer or his authorized representative shall be responsible for the CE mark. The CE mark symbol must be according to the requirements of the 93/68/ECE directive will be show in the same product, label or packaging.
The information that will accompany the symbol of the CE mark is as follows:
- The name or identification code and address of the producer-the last two digits of the year of affixing of the CE mark
- The European standard of reference for the product
- Product Description: Product name, material, dimensional characteristics of slabs and packaging...,
- Information on the characteristics of the product, conductivity and thermal resistance declared, reaction to fire classification, compressive strenght,...)
The manufacturer is then obliged to associate the CE mark, the CE Conformity Declaration, in which he assumes responsibility for the declared characteristics. This declaration refers to the External institute which carries out the checks and which guarantees the declared values. The selected laboratories must be accredited and notified at European level because they must carry out the checks according to the methodologies laid down in the legislation.
The manufacturer has the possibility to test and certify its products not only in terms of dimensional characteristics, thermodynamic performance and reaction to fire, but also with respect to other parameters. Statutory and optional values, however tested and controlled by accredited laboratories, are summarized in the designation code which must be reported both on the label and in the Declaration of conformity. Therefore, the designation code contains the declared characteristics of the product.
An example of a designation code is:
XPS - EN 13164 - T2 - DS(TH) - DLT(2)5 - CS(10/Y)300 - CC(2/1.5/50)120 - WD(V)3 - WL(T)0.7 - MU150 - FTCD1
The following describes the meaning of each of these expressions:
- The first expression refers to the material type: XPS (Extruded polystyrene), EPS (expanded polystyrene), PU (rigid polyurethane foam), MW (mineral wool),...
- The second expression refers to the European product Standard: En 13164 (for the case of the XPS), en 13163 (for the case of EPS), en 13165 (for PU case), en 13162 (for the MW case),...
- Ti: Thickness tolerance class ( "i " indicates the class or level as determined by the product standard).
- DS (T +): Dimensional stability at specific temperature
- DS (TH): dimensional stability under specific conditions of temperature and humidity
- DLT (i) 5: dimensional stability under specific conditions of load and temperature ( "i " indicates the class or level established by the standard).
- CS (10/Y)i: Compressive strenght at 10% deformation ( "i " indicates the value of resistance to the declared purchase, expressed in kPa)
- CC (I1/i2/y) σc: Creep value or long-term compressive strength ( "I1 " is the percentage of final thickness reduction, "I2 " is the percentage of initial deformation, "y " indicates the time in years, "Σc "Indicates the compression resistance value, expressed in kPa.
- TRi: Tensile strength perpendicular to faces ( "i " indicates the tensile strength, expressed in kPa)
- WL (T) I: Long-term immersion water absorption (28 days) ( "i " means the maximum percentage of absorbed water volume).
- WD (V) I: Long-term water absorption for diffusion (28 days) ( "i " indicates the level established by the standard)
- FTCDi: Resistance to frost and thaw cycles ( "i " indicates the level established by the standard)
- MUi: Water vapour diffusion resistance factor ( "i " means the minimum value declared according to the standard)
The values of thermal conductivity and thermal resistance declared, as well as the Euroclass (classification of reaction to the fire of the product), are not included in the designation code.